Bea’s of Bloomsbury
Maltby Street Market
Arch 76, Druid Street
London SE1 2HQ (map)
– A Nibble
– Roast Belly of Land Race Pig
– Jam Roly-Poly, Vanilla Custard & Jubilee Strawberries
By-The-Glass Sitting – £30
Barbera Sitting – £42
Grenache Sitting – £48
“Sunday” roast? Well, not exactly.
The second RoastSunday pop-up effectively begins on Saturday night, when chef Ben Spalding starts cooking bellies of Land Race pig, slowly drawing out every molecule of flavour from the exquisitely fatty meat of this rare breed. Ben wanted to keep all the other menu details kept a secret but, sorry, Ben, I just don’t enjoy salivating alone. Here’s the menu:
RoastSunday will be just like any Sunday roast you’d have with your family….IF your name were Spalding and IF brother Ben were behind the stove. His will be a roast done right: Well cooked vegetables, the highest quality rare breed pork, proper pork juices and a few signature flourishes. (See photos from inaugural 20 May Roast Sunday).
The 27 May RoastSunday will be divided into three separate sittings. The ticket price varies according to the wine matches. Craft ales will be available the day of the roast as will the two wines, although at a somewhat higher price than is reflected here. We want to encourage you to pre-order your wine so that the service runs as smoothly as possible.
- Noon By The Glass sitting: £30 – no wine included (wine by the glass and craft ale will be sold at the roast).
- 2pm Barbera sitting: £42 – includes 1/2 bottle Prunotto Fiulot Barbera d’Asti 2010 (Piedmont, Italy)
- 4pm Grenache sitting: £48 – includes 1/2 bottle Chapel Hill Bush Vine Grenache 2009 (McClaren Vale, Australia)